SC - Building ovens

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Thu Jul 3 11:59:07 PDT 1997

Greetings!  PPC (Petits Propos Culinaires) is published by Prospect
Books and is in English.  If you live in the US, one year is $23.50 and
two is $45.  Your check should be made payable to PPC North America and
sent to PPC North America, 45 Lamont Road, London SW10 OHU.  One year
consists of three issues of a small hand-size treatise.  To me it is
well worth the price, for if there is something on the Middle Ages or
Renaissance you can be sure it is documentable.  A recent issue had a
brief article on Aphrodisiacs which I meant to send to this list.  Ask
for it as a gift from relatives!

Markham is Gervase Markham who lived from about 1568-1637.  His _The
English Housewife_ was printed in 1615 and contains a treatise on
farming, medicine, distillation, dyeing, etc., as well as cookery.  A
nice edition is that of Michael R. Best, editor, published by
McGill-Queen's University Press, 1986, ISBN 0-7735-0582-2.

Hope this helps!

Alys Katharine