SC - Re: Butchery

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jul 4 07:59:16 PDT 1997

Agreed. Other sources corroborate the idea that participants on a hunt
divided the quarry amongst them according to a generally pretty
clearly-defined system. So-and-so would make the first cut, Lord Pat
would be given the heart, and Lord Mike the liver (which some sources
suggest was eaten raw, apparently). I'd say this is a gesture of
camaraderie amongst hunters, many of whose party would have been nobles.

Whether or not the same cheery scene applies to the urban middle
classes, I don't know. Obviously the butchering got done, so someone
must have known how to do it, but whether or not Master Joe Average had
acquired these skills in the course of being, say, a miller, I'm not so
sure. Seems as if people, then as now, acquired the skills they need to
survive.

Adamantius