SC - Meat for a week

Uduido@aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Mon Jul 7 06:35:29 PDT 1997

KandL Johnston wrote:

> This is of great interest. While we have ony been period camping for the
> last couple of years, we have had a cooler, and you are quite correct,
> it is a nuisance. But a week is a long time. We can handle breakfasts,
> no problem. Lunch, we like to have a bit of cheese.

This shouldn't be a problem. Cheese, in its incarnation that won't keep,
is called milk. The thing to do is to find small blocks, wedges, or
wheels of cheese (probably something firm like any of the farmhouse
cheeses: white Cheddar comes to mind) that are wrapped in wax. In other
words, you want small waxed pieces of a suitable size for a meal, rather
than an enormous wheel, which, when cut, has had its wax breached. One
of the good things about cheese is that it's extremely unlikely to
develop any dangerous contaminants without being either nasty to look at
or to smell. If it turns into something you wouldn't want to eat, then
you don't have to worry. Just don't eat it. Usually it's a matter of
cutting off the mold, if any.

 and dinners, well my
> husband loves to have a bite of flesh. All this, to my modern minds
> means a cooler.

Smoke-dried or air-dried sausages, salt pork in its brine,
bundnerfleisch (Swiss air-dried beef or game), various hams, salt or
dried fish, and escabeches of various fish, all will keep at room
temperature or above for anywhere from a three or four days to a week or
more. Some Southeast Asian curries will also keep for several days at
room temperature, depending on how close to the period European ideal
you want to stick.

Adamantius

Adamantius