Re(2): Re(2): SC - Re: Butchery

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 8 06:55:43 PDT 1997

>What sort of redacted recipe can you make from this Apecius translation (the
>Vehling trans., all I have at the moment):
>
>(129)ALITER PATINA VERSATILIS
>
>THE DISH, CALLED A TURN-OVER, IS THUS MADE: CRUSH VERY FINE WALNUTS AND
>HAZLENUTS TOAST THEM AND CRUSH WITH HONEY, MIX IN PEPPER, BROTH, MILK AND
>EGGS AND A LITTLE OIL.

Ah, sounds alot like a recipe I have for Mandelbrot, but with walnuts and
hazelnuts instead of almonds. The trick is grinding the nuts finely to act
as the flour for this dessert. After spreading the batter on a jelly roll
pan and baking for 10 minutes I usually cut into bite size pieces and flip
to bake another five minutes on the other side. There's your "turn-over"!
I'll have to try this version for Pennsic. Yummy!

Leri

robin.hackett at wadsworth.org