Re(2): SC - Intro-Unsub-Cooking?

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Tue Jul 8 09:01:34 PDT 1997

>I think, however, that you will find that, online or in realspace,
>entering
>an ongoing conversation and insulting the people conducting it is not
>good way of obtaining information.
>

>David/Cariadoc
>http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

You replied:

>Not to be insulting, but I don't think that is what Liza was trying to do
>and as gracious hosts, we should not assume this to be so.  I know this
>is not what you meant, Your Grace, so please take no offense.

I am not His Grace, but, as a member of the SCA, I felt Liza's remarks were
somewhat insulting.  I realized that it was probably the result of a lack of
knowledge about who we are and what we do; nonetheless, I still found the
comments about "dress-up game" and "people think cross-dressers are strange"
to be insulting. (Gunthar, would it be beneficial to include a little
paragraph in the Welcome Kit to explain who and what we are?)

I think that Liza will find the list quite stimulating and interesting if she
continues to read it.  As others have said before me, we are attempting to
understand the hows and whys behind the foods people ate, not just what people
ate.  I think the "recipe challenge" thread is a good example of why we have
such topics as who knew how to butcher, what does draw eggs through a strainer
really mean, etc.

Now, to create another topic -- Has anyone tried using gold (or silver) leaf
to decorate foods?  Beyond potential toxicity and cost, what other factors
have lead to the lack of experimentation?  I want to try this, but first
decided to see if anyone else has tested the waters.

Derdriu