SC - Re: Butchery

James May robmay at erols.com
Tue Jul 8 14:45:39 PDT 1997

Adamantius wrote:

>> If it sounds unpleasant, then I suspect you
are reacting badly to an unfamiliar process you don't understand.

Clearly, and I know that's what I'm doing.  Most cooking processes can be
described in a way that makes them sound unappetizing.  But I love to eat
nonetheless.

>> How
are you on ... Polish
summer sausage?

You know what they say about laws and sausages.  Having seen laws made, I
have no desire at all to know how one makes sausages!

>>If you've ever eaten Thai, Vietnamese or even some Chinese cooking, then
you have probably tasted something very close to liquamen

This is very reassuring, since I've eaten and enjoyed all the above, and
feel fairly certain that the gods, at this moment, are living incognito in
Thailand eating panang nya.

>> If, for instance,
you were to fry pancakes in bacon fat, you probably wouldn't immediately
think of eating bacon.

Okay.  Now I get it.  As a true Virginian, I cook =everything= (nonperiod)
in bacon grease (I've been known to render the bacon for the grease and feed
the bacon itself to the dog, in past years) and you're right, the results
are just salt and flavor.

Thanks!

Caitlin