SC - Fermented foods (was Re:definition)

Nick Sasso (fra niccolo) grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 8 14:40:05 PDT 1997

> Okay.  Now I get it.  As a true Virginian, I cook =everything=
> (nonperiod)
> in bacon grease (I've been known to render the bacon for the grease
> and feed
> the bacon itself to the dog, in past years) and you're right, the
> results
> are just salt and flavor.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Caitlin

Judicious application seems the counsel here.  The Romans used this in
most everything I've seen (maybe even a little behind the ear).  Fish
was quite plentiful and reveared as a staple of cuisine, so it is no
wonder that they make sauces from it.   They had a striking love of
strong flavors and pungent spices....go figure.  There are indeed
examples of fermented foodstuffs from other cultures: bean curds,
sauerkraut, kimchi, wine.

It seems that the brine keeps liquimen sanitary and promotes the
liquification, so it doesn't seem all that bad to me.  The salt also
probably effects the pH to activate some of the enzymes and bacteria
needed as well.  Strange to say the least.

- --
In Humble Service to God and Crown;

fra nicol¢ difrancesco
(mka nick sasso)