SC - My redaction.....

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Thu Jul 31 07:12:04 PDT 1997

                      RE>>SC - RECIPE CHALLENGE II                 7/9/97

I have NEVER understood the historical relationships between
cloves,gillyflower, and so forth.  In this case, I suspect that since the
source frequently uses the term "clove" unadorned, I'd use the flower.  But
what flower?

  Somebody raised the point that it was unclear as to whether       " clowes
gilofre" meant cloves, the spice, or the clove pink          g illyflower.
Actually, the point was rammed down my throat that I was an idiot for even
considering that the spice might have been intended, but that is
  neither here nor there...

clove pinks/pinks/gillyflowers/clove gillyflowers are all the same thing.
Dianthus related to carnations- they are refered to as "clove" because they
are supposed to have a clove like flavor to them.  so I guess the assumption
is that gilofre means gillyflower? and not some other description of a type or
use of clove spice?