SC - Reverse Challenge

Thu Jul 31 13:37:42 PDT 1997

  I was also seeing the pudding as firmer and therefore using it as
  more of a stuffing.  Since later i stir it all together, taking
  the bones out made sense.

Ahhh, I see.   Yes, tht would make sense.

  > Why cook the pudding separately?  (Because, stupid Tibor, she filetted the
  > fish.  You idiot.... :-)  I dunno if that is what I would do.

  Mostly the sturring idea - i figure if it's runny it'll pour out

That too hangs together.  Good!

  I'm kind of fascinated at the fact that we came up with different looking
  end products - yours was still basically whole and mine had worked it's
  way to sauced chunks.  I was responding to "stirring it into your Pye" -
  Fish falls apart so easily.....

I can explain where I came from, just as you did for yourself, and I have NO
idea which is more correct.

The recipe clearly says to bake the pudding in the fishes belly.  I figured,
no belly, no recipe, so I didn't consider fileting or carving up the fish.
This may have been an error: I don't know.

At the close of the recipe, it says:

  "Then take Vinegar, Nutmeg, Butter, Sugar, and the yolke of a new
  layd Egge, and boyle it on a Chafindish of coales, always stirring it
  into your Pye, shogge it well together, and serve it in."

I know that recipes tend to get wacky with their pronouns, so when I get
confused, I look at the nearest referent.  The referent for "always stirring
it" is the sauce.  If the sauce is made with egg and butter, and it is
heated, it will turn into scrambled egg quite quickly: to prevent that,
you'd stir constantly.  Even if you wanted it to coagulate, you'd stir a
lot.  Then you "shogge" it in there.  Shog means to "move along".  I'm not
sure that means "THEM" (the fish and the sauce) or if it really doesn mean
"IT", and it talks about the sauce.  I went with the later, but you could
just as easily go with the former.

	Tibor