SC - Cheese pie with horseradish recipe

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Tue Jul 1 09:23:50 PDT 1997

There have been several requests for this recipe.  I've gotten permission to
send it from Mistress Graidhne ni Ruadh.  Unfortunately, I don't have any
documentation, but there are cheese tarts that are similar in structure.

I warn you, I am very bad about mearsuring by cups.

Cheese Pies

Crust (five batches make 50 bottom crusts and 36 top crusts):

This is redacted from Markham (I don't have the original here -- left it hat
home).

5 lbs of flour
1 lb of butter
a teaspoon or so of salt (fill the little well in a cupped hand)
enough room temperature water to stick the dough together

Mix the flour and salt.  Cut the butter into the flour until the butter is
well broken up.  Add water in small amounts until the dough sticks together in
a ball.  The final consistency of the dough should be slightly tacky/moist,
but not sticky.  For this quantity, you will need to mix with your hands.
Don't worry about overmixing because the crust needs to be a little tough to
withstand the filling.

Filling (Mistress Graidhne) (for one pie)

Several slices of bacon (omit for vegetarians)
About a pound (enough to fill a pie crust) of cheese, colby or colby-jack
	works well.  Cheddar isn't bad.
several teaspoons of flour
6 eggs
a couple of teaspoons of horseradish
Salt

Brown the bacon and drain. Crumble into the bottom of the uncooked pie crust.

Grate the cheese.  Mix the cheese with enough flour to very lightly coat.  Put
in the crust on top of the bacon.

Mix the eggs, salt, and horseradish together.  Dump on top of the cheese.  Be
careful, it will be *very* full.

Bake at 350 for about a half hour or until the cheese is melted and brown.

Derdriu Gilbride