SC - Tainted Meat

chuck_diters at mail.fws.gov chuck_diters at mail.fws.gov
Tue Jul 1 08:57:27 PDT 1997

     Lord Ras speaks of "hanging" meat for aging purposes; this is
     certainly something that we do with game, and, as he points out, that
     is done for culinary purposes to good effect.

     I am minded of a story told by a friend's father back in 19++
     (TRANSMISSION ERROR: AUTHOR COULDN'T BE THAT OLD) concerning his
     experiences in Europe during WWII.  He was serving in a MP unit behind
     the lines in France after Normandy, and encountered a dead cow (land
     mine?), one haunch of which they removed and hung on the back of their
     jeep, where it remained for nearly a week until they found the
     opportunity to properly deal with it.  After scraping off a layer of
     road grime/exhaust/dead flies, they sliced it and grilled it and
     proclaimed it the best beef they had ever eaten.  (Hunger does make a
     great sauce . . .)

                                        Bjarni

     Chuck Diters/Bjarni Edwardsson                     West/Oertha/Eskalya
     Shadowood Manor, 9541 Victor Road, Anchorage, AK 99515-1470
     ph:  (907)344-5753                    Email: chuck_diters at mail.fws.gov

     "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's
     too dark to read."--Groucho Marx