SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #183

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at postoffice.ptd.net
Wed Jul 2 08:13:20 PDT 1997

>At 9:50 PM +0100 6/30/97, Angie Capozello wrote:
>
>>What a great idea!  There is never enough teaching of cooking techniques
>>around here.
>
>>From time to time Betty and I do a cooking workshop in our kitchen. The
>basic idea is that we select as many period recipes as there are going to
>be people and get the ingredients. At about 1:00 on Saturday people start
>showing up. When you arrive, we hand you a stack of printouts of recipes;
>you pick one. You spend the afternoon making it, with us to give advice,
>and writing down in precise detail everything you do. As each dish is
>finished, everyone tries it and makes comments. When it is over, we put
>into the computer the information on how the dish was done and how it
>turned out and what should be changed next time.
><<snip>>
>David/Cariadoc

Yep, we do this, too. You'd be surprised the number of people who are not
willing to be an event cook, but are interested in period cooking. It's a
shame that the monumental task of preparing a feast scares off so many
prospective cooks. We like to perfect our dishes and allow the individual
cooks to then prepare them at the feast (and only that dish). It's great way
to get their feet wet without too much stress, and a great way to weed out
the folks who can't seem to work on a time schedule or adhere to reasonable
shopping policies (although these, too, can be taught).

But back to the topic: I understand that you try to make as period an
environment as possible at your "Enchanted Ground" encampments. Does this
extend to your cooking  implements and practices, or only the materials and
recipes? I suspect the former, and am wondering if you could give us a
run-down of the equipment you use?

Thank-you in advance

Aoife
"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957