SC - Re: Markham ???

Wed Jul 2 08:26:21 PDT 1997

  I have been lurking on this list for a couple of weeks now. (Very
  informative and interesting BTW)  And I keep seeing a reference to
  "Markham", ie "redacted from Markham".  I was wondering if someone would
  be so kind as to tell me who or what Markham is.

I am glad you asked, very glad.  If we cannot teach each other these things,
what good are we?

>From a quick online library search by doing telnet hollis.harvard.edu,
I found the following.  Harvard had 205 entries for Markham, Gervase, and
most of those were microfilm versions of MANY interesting books....  I'll
post that list in a few minutes, for interests sake.

	Tibor

A Microfilmed original:
    YEAR: 1653
    AUTHOR: Markham, Gervase, 1568?-1637.
    TITLE: The English hous-wife [microform]: containing the inward and
	   outward vertues which ought to be in a compleat woman ... a
	   work generally approved, and now the fifth time much
	   augmented, purged, and made most profitable and necessary
	   for all men and the general good of this nation.
    EDITION: [5th ed.]
    PUB. INFO: London: Printed by W. Wilson, for E. Brewster and George
               Sawbridge .., 1653.
    NOTES: Preface signed: Gervase Markham.  Errata on prelim. p.
	   [10].  Imperfect: pages stained, with print show through and
	   loss of print.  Reproduction of original in the University
	   of Illinois Library.
    SUBJECTS: Home economics--Early works to 1800.
    AUTHORS: Markham, Gervase, 1568?-1637.
    LOCATION: Microforms (Lamont):  Film A 147 1530:13.  Microfilm. Ann
	      Arbor, Mich. : University Microfilms International, 1984.
	      1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm.  (Early English books,
	      1641-1700 ; 1530:13)  Microfilm

Modern reprint:
    YEAR: 1986
    AUTHOR: Markham, Gervase, 1568?-1637.
    TITLE: The English housewife.
    PUB. INFO: Kingston: McGill-Queen's University Press, c1986.
    NOTES: Subtitle: Containing the inward and outward virtues which
	   ought to be in a complete woman, as her skill in physic,
	   cookery, banqueting-stuff, distillation, perfumes, wool,
	   hemp, flax, dairies, brewing, baking, and all other things
	   belonging to a household.  Includes index.  "The first
	   edition ...  was published in 1615 as Book ii of Countrey
	   Contentments ... The present text, which uses the 1631
	   edition as copy-text, is the result of detailed collation of
	   The British Library copies of the editions of 1615 (1), 1623
	   (2), and 1631(3) ..--P. liv.  Bibliography: p. [291]-296.
    NUMBERS: ISBN 0773505822 (alk. paper)
    SUBJECTS: Home economics--England--Early works to 1800. \ Medicine,
	      Popular- -Early works to 1800. \ Cookery, English--Early
	      works to 1800.
    AUTHORS: Markham, Gervase, 1568?-1637. \ Best, Michael R.