SC - italian food

Nick Sasso (fra niccolo) grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 3 10:38:45 PDT 1997

Aoibheall (Lea D Wittie) wrote:

> hi,
> does anyone know a good source of period italian recipies online?
> i'm doing a feast for an italian wedding next spring amd am trying to
> remedy m
> y complete lack of knowledge concerning period italian.
> -Aibell inghean Dairenn

  The thing to remember is that there has never, really, been an
"Itlaian" cuisine.  The cooking and culture has been regional (like
'Chinese' cooking) since way before the Papal states of around 13th
century.  The country we now know as Italy used to be a region of
separate sovreignties, dutchies, city-states that were most often at war
with some other entity or other (kinda like today's Italy).  Even today,
the food eaten and produced in neighboring regions is quite variant from
even neighboring regions.  What region (Romagna, Tuscany, Umbria).  Even
great cities of the middle ages such as Venice, Florence, Rome had
different trade routes attendant to them and their food.  Try searching
under regional cultures/cuisisnes.

- --
In Humble Service to God and Crown;

fra nicol¢ difrancesco