Re(2): SC - Re: Butchery

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Mon Jul 7 16:15:22 PDT 1997

<< As did my family -- those skills were taught generation to generation.
 Many
 factors in these skills affect the edibility of the animal.

 How would you go about killing the animal?
 How do you dress the meat?
 How do you cut the carcass?  Which joints do you want? Cut with the grain of
the meat or against it (depends on the cut of meat)?  How do you get rid of
the membranes that cause some of the strong flavor?
 How do you preserve the meat?  What meat is better fresh and what meat will
 survive preservation?  What do you want smoked, salted, frozen, preserved in
 honey/lard, etc?

 Let's not forget how to cook it.
 Lots of questions here besides kill it, cut it up, and eat it.

 Derdriu

Ooops! I meant to say that there was a high probability that a larger number
of people during the middle ages were most likely familiar with butchering
techniques than not. Since it was a rural society the probability that this
was the case is rather high. Professional butchers were most likely found in
the towns admittedly. The questions you put forth are extremely timely and I
sometimes forget that there is a larger urban population than not in the
modern world. The skills I was taught on the farm seem to me to be second
nature but extropolating these skills on an entire population is ridiculous.
I will try to be more thoughtful in my responces in the future. Please
forgive. :-)

Lord Ras