SC - Re: Recipe Challenge

Baaastard at aol.com Baaastard at aol.com
Wed Jul 9 20:21:59 PDT 1997

>>Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 8-Jul-97 Re: SC - Recipe
>>challenge by Philip & Susan Troy at asan
>>> "II. ALITER PATINA VERSATILIS: nucleos, nuces fractas; torres eas et
>>> teres cum melle, pipere, liquamine, lacte et ovis. olei modicum (122)
>>
>>> 2. TURNOVER. Toast pine-kernels and chopped nuts, pound with honey,
>>> pepper, liquamen, milk, and eggs. <Cook in> a little oil."
>
>>Assuming that that's the original Latin above, I get something more like
this:

>>2. Flip-flop. Take and grind nuts and dry them.  Make the nuts smooth
>>with honey, liquamen, milk, and eggs.  <Cook> in a little olive oil.
>>
>>The first part is, pretty much, self-explanitory, though I'd have to try
>>it to get the portions.  For the second, I'd say, heat a Tbsp or so of
>>olive oil in a flat pan, pour on batter, cook until it bubbles on one
>>side, then turn and cook on the other.
>>
>Over breakfast, I came up with an alternative interpretation:
>
>Take nuts.  Take nut flour.  Mix it together with honey, liquamen, milk,
>and eggs into a smooth batter.  Fry in olive oil.
>
>In this interpretation, you have a nut batter with big chunks of nuts in it.

>toodles, margaret

Greetings,

I am not sure this would work the same, but here goes the thought.  If the
eggs are somewhat disproportionate to the rest(i.e. mostly egg).  Then, if
the whole thing is thrown in a hot oven once it is lightly set in the frying
pan, this thing could work sort of like a nut-flavored German pancake.  I am
not sure if a "nut flour" would work the same as white flour but, the
leavening power of the eggs should allow this thing to achieve a pretty
decent height.

Anyway, just a thought.

Michael Farrell