SC - Cherries and wine

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jul 14 08:36:18 PDT 1997

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 12-Jul-97 Re: SC - Cherries
and wine by Carla S. Tucker at juno.com
> You may have an allergy to sulfites, which (I am told) are used in many
> commercial wines.  If so, it would pay for you to pursue the allergy as
> sulfites are used in other foodstuffs, including lettuce as served in
> restaurant salad bars (sometimes...I think it is a preservative of some
> sort).

Sulfites are one of the natural byproducts of winemaking (I want to say
fermentation, but I'm not 100% sure if it's all fermentation or only
certain substances).  THIS is why you see it on labels of commercial
American wines--it's in the European stuff, too, but they don't have to
put it on their labels, as it is a natural byproduct.

toodles, margaret
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.