SC - Allergies - again..

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Mon Jul 14 10:20:24 PDT 1997

> I think we need to educate the populace that they need to alert us about food
> issues, that we cannot seek people out to accommodate their needs.

Yes and no. A cook should publish ingredient lists (which you do), so
that the populace with normal allergies (i.e. nut, mushroom) can check
for themselves without bothering the cook. You probably take this as a
given, but I can think of many feasts I've attended at which I had to
attempt to hunt down a very busy cook because they did not post an
ingredient list anywhere. Not to mention the small fraction of cooks
which repeatedly do this!

That aside, it's much more convenient if folks with a normal situation
- -- i.e. me, an ovo-lacto vegetarian -- can simply include a note
with their reservation. Your suggestion involves me making 40 phone
calls per year, 35 of which will be answered with "no problem, we
always allow for vegetarians". There is probably always at least
one ovo-lacto veggie at every single feast in Atlantia. Likewise,
there are many allergies so common that you can be guaranteed
that there will be at least one at every feast anywhere in the world.

This is why I suggested the article, which I am not qualified to
write. (Well, I could write the veggie section...)

Someone with an unusual allergy -- wheat -- or an unusual dietary
restriction -- vegan -- should definitely contact the cook or bring
their own food. In that case it is handy for the autocrat to allow
them to go offboard, even at an event which has no off-board space.

- -- gb
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.