SC - wine and sulphites

Nick Sasso (fra niccolo) grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 14 12:14:57 PDT 1997

> ........ Fermenting yeats present on all grape skins generate
> naturally
> occurring sulfites in ammounts ranging from 6 to 40 ppm....According
> Professor Roger Boulton, Ph.D. Univeristy of California at Davis,
> Department of Viticulture and Enology, even if no sulfur dioxide is
> added to wine, fermenting yeats will produce SO(2) from the naturally
> occurring inorganic sulfates in all grape juices.  Thus, say Boulton,
> it
> is impossible for any wine to be completely free of sulfur dioxide."

My humblest appologies, m'lady.  I am aghast at my not stopping to
consider sulfur dioxide as one of the aforementioned sulfites.  It is
with haste that I return to my brewchem book to refresh my knowledge of
biproducts of the various fermented beverages.  Thanks for keeping me on
my toes :o)

niccolo

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.