SC - allergy list

Peters, Rise J. PETERSR at spiegel.becltd.com
Mon Jul 14 15:38:51 PDT 1997

Stefan li Rous said:

>> I suspect
that if we tried to cook a feast that excluded everything on the list,
there wouldn't be much left to eat.

At War, we have run a meal plan for years.  At various points, we have tried
to cook for a combination of individuals who:

(a) could not eat meat
(b) could not tolerate spicy food
(c) would not eat one or more of: onions, mushrooms, tomatos
(d) could not eat onions or anything from the cabbage family
(e) would not eat pork

We frequently ended up with four pots of food, each with a different
constellation of ingredients, all of the outcomes fairly mediocre, and had
to listen to bitch/whine/complain if the person didn't get their exact
preferred mix.  This was a group of 20 to 30 people.  After a while, we
ended up with a different resolution:  two pots, one with everything, one
without everything objectionable.  None of this "I won't eat onions but I
want it spicy" stuff.

(That's "could not" as in, has an allergy, a religious injunction, or a
commitment to vegetarianism; that's "would not" as in "didn't like the
taste/texture/idea").

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.