SC - Re: Food allergies, etc.

rengraph at ix.netcom.com rengraph at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 14 17:42:27 PDT 1997

>>So, tell me, am I wrong?

Aoife

No, I don't think you were wrong.

In my barony (BMDL) we have a peer who has several food
restrictions/allergies.  Instead of raising a fuss, he brings his own food
to>events and eats off-board.

With regard to special food needs and food allergies, a peer within our
Shire, and the head of my household to be specific is diabetic and has very
specific food needs, for a long time few people were aware of his special
needs regarding food.  Once a few of the feastcrats within the Kingdom
(Meridies)became aware of his special needs they were more than happy to
even prepare special dishes so that he might enjoy the feast along with
everyone else. (We even found out that there were other diabetics out there
who did not make known their special needs but appreciated his Excellency
sharing the special deserts and dishes feastcrats had prepared for him to
enjoy.)

His Excellency's sense of chivalry would not allow him to ask that anyone
make special allowances for him, nor would he raise his special needs above
the populace's or the cooks in the kitchen.  It has been the feastcrat's
pleasure to try to find dishes that would please him.  Indeed, quite often
we will bring special dishes to prepare for him at the event and have never
met any resistence from cook or autocrat, and it would not matter were he a
Count or new member of the populace their courtsey would have remained the
same.

In this I suppose I must second the comments of others who have pointed out
that a lack of courtsey and civility and just plain rude behaviour has no
place in the SCA.  We are about chivalry, and that does not include placing
ourselves above others or their needs.  Civility requires that we
acknowledge the needs of others, but it also mandates that all recognize
that we are one of many equals and treat all accordingly.

Sorry for the diatribe,
Yours in Service to Meridies, Gleann Abhann and The Dream
Lady Constanza of Shire Wyrmgeist

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.