SC - feasts in each Kingdom

Kathleen M Everitt kathe1 at juno.com
Tue Jul 15 04:54:10 PDT 1997

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997 08:11:40 -0500 (CDT) nweders at mail.utexas.edu (ND
Wederstrandt) writes:
>        I was wondering what is a typical feast in each of the
>Kingdoms.

In the East, it depends on where it is. They differ by region.

>How the service is done,

Sometimes the autocrat has a serving staff, sometimes they announce each
dish and ask that each table send one person up to getit (I hate this and
never do it at my feasts!)

  what types (outdoor, indoor)

usually indoor.

if  head table
>food
>is different from rest of the populace food.

In this area (greater Philadelphia,PA), not usually. Sometimes there is
an extra dish or two for head table.

  Do people eating the
>feast
>eat with non feast eating people?

No. IF there is off-board, which a lot of feasts don't have due to space
restrictions, it is at seperate tables, or even in a different room.

  How is court

Court is almost always before the feast. Bummer, too, cause if it runs
late, the feast is served late and I've seen delicate foods ruined
because of a court that didn't start on time and then ran really late.

 and entertainment

Sometimes someone will sing a song or two between courses. Most feasts
I've been to lately have little entertainment.

>handled
>with the feast.  Basically a description of how feasts are handled.
>What is
>the porportion of meat to vegies.

Depends on the event. If it's a fighting event, lots of meat. I did an
event for the Kingdom Embroidery guild last summer with no meat. It was
terribly hot and humid that day and we had lots of breads, rice pudding,
fruits and veggies which everyone appreciated.

 What kind of halls are used for the
>most
>part.

Church halls, school cafeterias, Knights of Columbus and VFW halls.
Anything the local group can find that is reasonably priced. That's one
of the biggest problems in this area - the reasonable price part.

 Not the special feasts but the normal feasts.

>Thinking it might be fun to compare customs.

I've lived in five different Kingdoms in the past almost 20 years, and
they differ a lot!

>Clare St. John

Julleran, currently in the southern portion of the East Kingdom
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.