SC - Allergies - again..

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Jul 15 06:33:32 PDT 1997

> When someone goes to a restaurant, if they have food restrictions, it is
> their responsibility to call the restaurant ahead of time and find out if
> they can eat anything on the menu.

Almost all restaurants will accomodate vegetarians if asked
politely. I never call ahead; I read the menu and ask the server for
advice if there isn't anything edible. I've done this all over the
country and it works. Restaurants are in the business of making money.

The SCA isn't a business, so it's different -- I never have any
expectation of being accomodated, and sometimes I get forced to pay
for feasts I can't eat any of just so I can sit with my friends. But I
still can't imagine why any cook would prefer answering lots of phone
calls to having the reservations taker simply compile a list of
folks with common situations.

> Oh...and when I say "far enough in advance", I'm talking about the
> months and months of menu planning stage. Not the right-before-the-feast
> stage!

So you would suggest that every ovo-lacto vegetarian should call every
cook several months before each event? Or is this your suggestion only
for unusual allergies?

- -- gb
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.