SC - Green peppers

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Tue Jul 15 17:16:37 PDT 1997

<< So, since Lord Ras has brought it up, when was the green pepper introduced
 to Europe and from where? I would have said the Middle East not having done
 any research on this. It is a different family than the chili peppers of the
 New World, correct? >>

It was introduced into Europe in the late 17th century from South and Central
America. Yes, it is the same family as Capsicum but is a different variety.
Chili peppers were introduced at a relatively earlier time becoming a major
agricultural crop in the Meditteranean Basin by 1523 C.E. specifically
because they provided, IMO, an inexpensive alternative to black pepper.
However, I would bet my last dime that anyone allergic to the oils in green
peppers would also be allergic to the oils in Capsicum.

Lord Ras (who even tho' he knows they are period hasn't gotten the courage to
serve hot peppers yet. :-() )
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.