SC - Bergamot and other herbs

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 16 05:46:06 PDT 1997

        It's easy to get confused when herbs are named the same thing which
is why when I am judging any herbal preparation I prefer having the Latin
name.  The Bergamot is a  good example.  Sage also comes to mind, I judged
an herbal ointment that a Lady had entered in a competition and she listed
red sage, when I asked what type she couldn't tell me and said she used
kitchen sage.  Sometimes just because something is called sage doesn't mean
it translates well in a recipe.  Culinary sage as compared to pineapple
sage.
        It's hard when using period herbals because they very often use
local or common names, since there was no standardized list of names.  Some
are still unclear.  I was looking through an anglo saxon herbal and many
are somewhat unnameable.

On a different question....Has anyone ever entered food as part of an arts
display or competition.  How do you display it?  What types of things do
you show.  We've had several entries lately in various competitions and it
might be of interest to some of the newer cooks.

Clare St. John

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.