SC - TEXAS vs. PA Law and Pennsic

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Fri Jul 18 07:11:33 PDT 1997

<<  I am concerned with the mundane laws here and would hate to see or hear
of anyone misunderstanding that SCA rules overrule state laws.  I just don't
want anyone to think that they have legal protection just because they are
not openly paying for the alcohol. >>

Thanks for the posting about Texas law. Will remember if I ever go there.
However, since the original thread concerned PA law, I would once again
remind Pennsic goers that you are allowed to take up a collection and buy
booze in PA where Pennsic is located. The secret is that you MUST collect the
funds then buy the booze. If you have pre-boughten booze and then ask for
payment you may find yourself in a bit o' hot water as that could be
construed as selling. Also a donation box can be set out at parties safely IF
you do not require a donation for entry and IF the amount of said donation is
not specified and IF you do not construe that the donation is specifically
for the payment for alcohol.

For those who appreciate a good party as I do, it is not out of line to ask
to see the host privately and pass along a "donation out of gratitude for the
"hospitality" recieved. Partying is just one of those areas where caution can
and often times does cross over the line into the bizaare world of
unnecessary paranoia.

Lord Ras

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.