SC - art versus craft--slightly off topic

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 22 10:34:53 PDT 1997

ND Wederstrandt wrote:

> I had the same situation with a bakery who bent over backwards to make sure
> that the bread I had ordered for a feast was totally fresh.  One of the
> batches they had made didn't come up to their personal measure so they
> substituted a more expensive loaf.  I usually now recommend that company if
> we need need something special.  I really enjoy fresh bread and not home
> made frozen and defrosted for feasts but rarely have the time or over room
> to provide homemade.  Finding a reliable bakery handles that need for me.
>
> Clare St. John

Yes, if you can't make your own, that's certainly the best course. At
the risk of leaving the topic, I can't resist throwing in this little
anecdote.

I used to work in a corporate dining room in New York City, which was,
for all practical purposes, a four-star restaurant. It was designed to
take advantage of a loophole in the federal entertainment tax laws,
whereby the cost of business entertainment could be written off if the
host company had a fine private restaurant on the premises, as part of
the corporate structure, rather than resorting to taking clients to
Bouley.

The exceutive chef was, and presumably still is, a lunatic. Among other
things, she used to enjoy pretending to seriously cut herself, hoping to
make me panic, have a stroke, etc. Pretty funny, eh? On the other hand,
she had her uses.

We received a delivery of rolls that were supposedly fresh. They were,
in fact, a bit stale, probably more because of the way they had been
stored than because of their age. The chef refused to accept delivery,
because they were stale. The delivery man argued that they weren't
stale. So, from about eight feet away, the chef took a roll, and bounced
it off the floor to see how high it would bounce. She then pegged the
delivery man right in the forehead. He said, "Ow!" She said, "Come on!
That can't be hurting you! These rolls are fresh! Nice and soft!"
Several rolls later...

Exit stage left, pursued by a roll.

Adamantius, sorry about the digression but couldn't resist
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com