SC - opinions desired on feast menu/ (long - sorry)

S. Noss snoss at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 22 12:43:13 PDT 1997

All ye kind gentles,

Your opinion of the following and any suggestions will be much
appreciated.  I have only been to two sca events so far.  And even so, we
decided to have our wedding with a med/ren flare or flavor to it. (Not
near knowledgeable enough to be truly authentic to period - but trying.)
We are having a feast of sorts for the reception.  This is why I joined
this newsgroup and have been very thankful for everything I have been
learning from all you share.  Here is a list of items we are considering
offering:

Aoife's Roast coated with herbs
Aliper sauce (if I can get a redaction for this)
Roast Chicken (With OJ and Rosewater from Cariadoc's files)
Au Gratin Potatoes (for the many mundanes attending and expect potatoes
                    with their meat!)
Losyns or Macrows   WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE?
Bread
Ginger or Honey Carrots (if I can get a redaction)
Tart of herbes, Ember Day Tarte, and/or Mushroom pastires (from Cariadoc
                                                           again)
Spiced pears
gingerbrede
pickeled beets
cuskynoles (if I have time)
marinated fresh vegetables (again more for the mundanes - stuff like
                            califlower, broccali, carrots, zuchini)

I want to make almost everything except the meat in advance and
freeze/reheat.  Do you think the Tarts and Lolsyns/Macrows will do ok?

Anything I should add or take out or replace?

Where can I get (or how do you make) Rosewater?

What is Grains of paradise and where can I get it?

Are fennel seeds available in regular stores or where can I get it?

What kind of mushrooms would you use in the mushroom pastries?

What do you sca cooks do for bread at feasts?

Sorry for so many questions - feel free to only answer a few if that's all
you have time or interest in.  Again, I appreciate the comments and help.
I haven't tried cooking a mostly period feast before.  Maybe I'll graduate
to helping/doing feasts for my local sca folks!

Shirley