Re(2): SC - Bread

lwperkins lwperkins at snip.net
Wed Jul 23 12:19:52 PDT 1997

Adiamantius wrote:
> > >Period European breads would also have been heavier in texture, since
> > >through most of Europe the wheat grown and eaten was much softer (read
> > >lower in gluten) than what we are accustomed to today.

I have noticed there's difference in flavor and texture between a modern
homemade loaf from the San Franciso bay area ,a MidAtlantic loaf of bread,
an English (Northern England, East Anglia) bread, and an Austrian bread. In
all cases these were "white" loaves of bread. I think to get a better
answer of the texture of period bread we need to hope for some
archaeological evidence. (Yes, I realize they'd be a little stale). Didn't
they find some loaves in the Coppergate excavation in York, or am I
thinking of somewhere else?
- --Ester
lwperkins at snip.net