SC - Re: Bread

Brett and Karen Williams brettwi at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 23 12:45:31 PDT 1997

I get the digest, so I've quoted bits and pieces of the latest one that
raises questions for me:

> Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 08:56:57 +0000
> From: Erin Kenny <Erin.Kenny at sofkin.ca>
> Subject: SC - Re: Bread (was- opinions desired on feast menu/ )
*snip*
> I prefer to bake the bread ahead of time and freeze it.  Last time
> (pre-baby) I made sourdough and sourdough-cheese bread.
>
> Claricia Nyetgale
> Caldrithig, Skraeling Althing, Ealdormere
> (Erin.Kenny at sofkin.ca)

I've been nursing a sourdough starter for about three years now, which I
use fairly frequently for pancakes and waffles for weekend breakfasts
for my family at home. The few times I've tried making bread, I've been
less than happy with the results: gooey, icky crumb, little loft.

Claricia, I'd love to see your recipes and procedures... (hint hint!)

Adamantius and Derdriu go on to discuss types of flour:

> The wheat I don't know much about.  What is your recommended reading on this?
>
> Derdriu
> swensel at brandegee.lm.com

What about spelt flour? Would spelt be a good substitute for modern
unbleached white?

I'm on the mailing list for King Arthur's Flour Company (Sands &
Taylor), and they're a good source for all kinds of specialty grains,
including hard and soft wheat flour varieties. I bought a bag of spelt
flour from my local health food store after reading about spelt in the
KAFC catalog. Spelt flour is sorta similar in texture to common
unbleached white-- but the differences are a nuttier (and IMHO opinion
more flavorful) and more complex taste, more nutritious, and has a color
between whole wheat and white flour. I used the spelt flour in all kinds
of baked goods in lieu of my more usual unbleached white, including
Definitely Right Out Of Period Tollhouse Cookies, with great success.

Now, a more general question:  What are *your* favorite
recipies/procedures for bread? I like making bread quite a bit, but I've
yet to come across a direct recipe-- I understand that there's precious
little out there in surviving literature. What I'm asking is the list's
collective procedures on bread based on experience and knowledge.

Yes, I know, a lot to ask, but I'd be grateful, truly!

cirostan