SC - the grocery cart game

Fri Jul 25 08:20:17 PDT 1997

       I just got the Ansteorran newsletter, The Black Star, Tuesday.  It
       seems that I saw that there is a competition like this coming up at
       someone's event.  The premise (if I remember correctly) is that you
       are the head cook in a castle that has been under siege for some time
       and you have limited foodstuffs.  All the competitors will be given
       the same ingredients and can use nothing else, with the exception of a
       small amount of salt.  The winner is the cook who comes up with the
       most palatable dish.

I believe that I first encountered this "siege cookery" competition in a TI,
about a decade ago.  Does anyone else remember this?

We can play a version of this on the mailing list.

"You are an event cook, and about 20 minutes before you start cooking,
someone tells you that the rice went missing, but that's OK, because they
have an equivalent amount of potatoes right here.  What do you do?"

      ( O     O )
           v		(World's Most Giant Smiley)
       (       )
        \_____/

Seriously: I recall one event where lunch was to be served, and the kitchen
staff was ready at 11, but the cook wasn't present and half the ingredients
were with her.  The cooking staff made a list of some few ingredients they
needed, and planned to work with what they had.  It can happen.  (She showed
just before they left to go shopping, and lunch was late.)

	Tibor