SC - Beef stew

Philip E Cutone flip+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jul 25 13:15:49 PDT 1997

Here it is... this commign from a sheet i had at War practice.
wish more people showed up... i cooked a couple gallons of the stuff.
After offering hospitality to several neighbors, i still had near a
half gallon left.  mmm was it tasty (if i say so myself)

This is based on a 15c recipe "Beef y-Stewed" to be found in
Cariadoc's Miscellany--
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html. I've modified
the recipe quite a bit, but cooks of the time would have as well,
using whatever happened to be in season or on hand.

Put a crock pot on the simmer setting and place into it:
    about 1 lb+ beef - cubed
    2 medium onions chopped as you like
    1/2 c chopped parsley
    2 bouillion cubes (or use beef stock to top off instead of water)
    1/4 t cloves (ground)
    1 t sage
    1/4 t mace
    *1/8 t whole grains of paradise (ground)
    *1/8 t whole cubebs (ground)
    **1/2 c barley
    **1/2 t cinnamon
    **1/2 t ginger
    **1/2 t rosemary
    **2-4 cloves garlic chopped

if you cannot find grains of paradise or cubebs, (as i couldn't) substitute:
    **(1/4 t ground white pepper)
    **(1/4 t ground black pepper)

*  did not use for lack of availability
** not mentioned in the original recipie

Add water to cover. Let simmer for several hours (at least till meat is cooked)
Check once an hour and add water to keep contents covered. dissolve:
    4-6 threads saffron

in a little of the broth (saffron is a very expensive, very strong
spice.  I would recommend about 4-6 threads, though some may find that
heavy) and add it to the stew. Add:
    a little crumbled bread to thicken
    vinegar to taste

I use a homemade vinegar made from honey, apple juice, water, a little
yeast and whatever critters happen to sour the brew.  If you don't
happen to have any contaminated cysers (smile) You can substitute a
3:1 mixture of apple vinegar and white wine/mead and perhaps a little honey.

The stew will require salt (unless, you perhaps use salted beef, which
will change the flavor some). I usually allow my guests to add their
own salt as they can always put more in, but cannot take it out.

If you do not have a crock pot, or you lack the time, you can cook it
on the stove in about an hour, but it will take more watching and the
barley might need some pre cooking.

The spice measurements are a guess. I cook on the fly, as suites my
taste of the day.  This combined with my earlier statment of "using
whatever happens to be in season" would sort of imply that the real
instructions for this recipe may be reduced to "Throw stuff together
and make a stew"  If this is how you have interpreted these
instructions, you've just found out my secret for cooking. The best
advice I can give is this: Experiment, find out what *you* like, taste
your dish at all stages of preperation, and don't sweat a mistake now
and again. If you are unsure of a flavor addition, separate out a few
spoonfuls and flavor that. By doing that, you don't risk ruining the
entire dish.

In service,
Filip of the Marche