SC - canning

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Wed Jul 30 19:43:58 PDT 1997

In a message dated 97-07-30 15:26:20 EDT, Master Adamantius wrote:

<< Since there are people who can things like beef stew, and failure could
mean fatalities under those circumstances, if I were only going to teach or
recommend one method, I'd recommend the textbook method  Lady Aoife
employs.>>

I apologize for "correcting" you somewhat, m'lord. But I can all the time and
the textbook method recommended by Lady Aoife. although fine for acid fruits
like tomatoes, peaches, etc., or for jams and jellies, it should NEVER be
used for canning vegetables or , especially meat!

I have 3 dozen jars of vegetables and soups, stewa, lamb, chicken, beef, pork
that I am bringing to War. When canning those items the ONLY SAFE way is to
pressure can meats and items with meat in them for 90 minutes at 10 lbs.
pressure. Vegetables are pressure canned for 30-45 mins. at 10 lbs. pressure.
Some of the nasty pathonegenic germs can only be killed by the intense
pressure and heat generated by this method.

Another way is to process meats for 3 hrs. in a boiling water bath and
vegetables and fruits that are non-acid for 90 mins. in a boiling water bath.
Although I use this method rarely, it was de rigour before pressure canners
became available.

Thirdly, only use wax on jams, jellies and marmelade.

Finally, if you use a pressure canner NEVER turn your jars upside down. Such
action can and does produce explosions in the jars. Simply putting your lids
in hot water for several minutes before applying them to the jar will
sterilize them sufficiently.

<<On the other hand, it's probably harmless for marmalade, which is why I
usually do it myself that way. I just felt a distinction needed to be made...

 Adamantius  >>

In the marmalade assessment your are indeed correct. :-)

Lord Ras ( who if he wasn't up to his ears in hot water probably is now. :-0)