SC - Reverse Challenge

rebecca tants becca at servtech.com
Thu Jul 31 13:12:21 PDT 1997

>   Tench is a type of fish I believe, so take one.  Gut and clean it, reserving
>   the innards.  I'd also debone at this point if possible.  (This is all
>   kind of funny, as I'm allergic to Iodine and therefore don't eat fish.)
>
> Hmmm.  I wouldn't reserve the guts: you don't seem to use them in the
> recipe, later.  Also, I wouldn't remove the fish frame: otherwise where
> would you put the pudding?

Re: the guts - I had had this idea in the back of my mind of throwing it
into the scalding water and making a stock later, but forgot...What can
I say - cooking in a cube is hard :-)

I was also seeing the pudding as firmer and therefore using it as
more of a stuffing.  Since later i stir it all together, taking
the bones out made sense.

> Tarragon?  For myself, only, tarragon screams chicken, although it does make
> a lovely sauce for fish, as well.  Nice touch.  I wouldn't have thought of
> it, but having thought of it, I approve.

Tarragon tastes a lot of licoriche to me, which is why I think of it
as sweet (and yes, i know that spselled wrong :-)

> Why cook the pudding separately?  (Because, stupid Tibor, she filetted the
> fish.  You idiot.... :-)  I dunno if that is what I would do.

Mostly the sturring idea - i figure if it's runny it'll pour out

> Have you made coffins without fat?  Do they stand up?  I've made one with
> lard, that kinda stood up.  Kinda.

It seems to depend on the level of liquid and just how stiff the dough is.
I've made one that did stand up to a fairly dry dish - my guess is this
would desintigrate quickly with the sauce, so serve it FAST!

I'm kind of fascinated at the fact that we came up with different looking
end products - yours was still basically whole and mine had worked it's
way to sauced chunks.  I was responding to "stirring it into your Pye" -
Fish falls apart so easily.....

That was fun - Someone else's turn
Ruadh

- --