SC - Roast Beef Recipe

SUZANNE_POWELL SUZANNE_POWELL at aspentec.com
Thu Jul 31 13:10:21 PDT 1997

Hello All!

As I've said before, I'm an absolute novice at medieval cooking, but I wanted
to share the following roast recipe with you.  The accompaniment was homemade
mashed potatoes (are they period?) and garlic seasoned green beans (same
question).

Because of my budget constraints, I had to use a "pot roast" cut of beef, but
this should work well for the real thing, too.

Burgundy Roast
- --------------

First (the night before you cook your roast) mix together the following
marinade (you may need to adjust amounts depending on the size of your roast,
mine was about 6 pounds, and time according to the tenderness of your beef):

	1/4 c. burgundy wine
	2 tbsp. virgin olive oil
	1/4 c. minced onion
	1 tbsp. minced garlic
	1 tbsp. minced carrots
	1 tbsp. dried rosemary, crumbled

Pierce your roast all over using a fork, then place in one of those nifty oven
roasting bags and pour your marinade over the top. Seal the bag and place in
the refrigerator. The bag should be turned several times so that the marinade
has a chance to reach all surfaces of your beef.

I served the finished roast with a garnish of grilled portobello mushrooms. If
you want to do the same, make another batch of the marinade to use on the
mushrooms, place the mushrooms in a glass dish, pour the marinade over the
mushrooms and place in the refrigerator at the same time you put in the roast.
When you turn the roast/bag over, turn the mushrooms over too.

The next evening, while your roast is cooking (about 1/2 an hour before you
plan on taking it out of the oven), slice 2 or 3 onions thinly and cook them
slowly over the stove using virgin olive oil until they are caramelized.

By the time the onions are done, it should be time to take the roast out of
the oven. Take the roast out to rest and turn on the broiler. Put in your
portobello mushrooms (reserve the marinade) and grill for about 5 minutes on
each side.

Use the reserved drippings from your roast and your leftover mushroom marinade
for the gravy.  I started out with a basic roux (not period, I've just found
out), added beef bouillon to the roux and cooked for a few minutes, then added
the drippings and reserved marinade. Rounded out the sauce by adding about 1/2
to 1 cup of burgundy wine.

This turned out really well -- even using the cheap cut of meat.

Your thoughts?

- -- Suzanne

** Lady Suzanne de la Ferte, AoA      **
** Scribe and Illuminator             **
** Stargate, Ansteorra                **
** suzanne.powell at aspentech.com       **