Re(2): SC - Re: Alcohol & the SCA

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jul 11 06:37:09 PDT 1997

Sue Wensel wrote:

> So what does this mean if a bunch of us are at an event and someone wants to
> provide mulled drinks for a bardic and passes the hat for it?
>
> Derdriu

It means, I think, that the mulled (presumably alcoholic) beverage was
purchased with private funds, and if someone wraps him or her self
around a treetrunk at high speed on the way home, the SCA isn't
responsible. Nor is it responsible (or liable, since they aren't the
same thing) for any other alcohol-related accidents that (God forbid)
may occur, since SCA funds aren't being used to purchase it.

Wheah ah come from (here we go again!) we have sometimes had people
donate kegs of beer or mead to events, since it has long been our local
Provincial policy not to include alcoholic drinks in the price of the
event. The standard response from our autocrats when this occurs is to
say to the prospective donor: "Fine! Thank you so much for the
beer/mead/kummis/etc.! I'm sure everyone will love it! You've just
volunteered to be the bartender to see that it is used responsibly, to
find unexpected additional crash space, and to be the designated driver
in all appropriate cases!"

I'm extremely happy to report that this is usually just fine with the
donors.

Adamantius
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.