SC - sulfa and sulfites

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Sun Jul 13 13:07:20 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here, surfacing briefly from the post-move chaos.  Claricia
Nytegale asks:

>> It is RARE that such a reaction would occur with the miniscule levels of
>> sulfites in wine. I f a person is allergic to sulfa drugs and CAN eat eggs,
>> cabbage, luchcheon meats, hotdogs, broccoli, cauliflower, plain grape juice,
>> etc. they will not have a reaction to the sulfites in wine since the foods
>> listed contain massive amounts of sulfites compared to wine per se.. The
>> over-reaction of the public to the sulfa thing in wine is much similar to the
>> bizaare responce of healthy adults to the news that aspirin can rarely cause
>> a fatal reaction when given to a child 12 or under with the flu.
>
>Now I'm really confused.  I can eat all of those things, but wine and
>(to a much lesser extent) grape coolaid give me nasty migraines.  Any
>connection?

What triggers migraines in whom is largely idiosyncratic, but there are
lists of foods that are known to be suspect.  One way to get on that list
is to contain tyramine.  Wine does; I don't know about grape koolaid.

Someone who gets migraines may respond to no tyramine-containing foods,
all of them, or anything in between.   (I respond to red wines but not white;
go figure.)  The only way to know, is to eliminate them all from your
diet for a while, and then try them one at a time.  If they trigger, you'll
know.

To put the point differently: you may get migraines after wine from tyramine,
alcohol, some other sensitivity, or God-only-knows.  But it probably isn't
sulfites.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.