SC - Wedding Cake

Kathleen M Everitt kathe1 at juno.com
Mon Jul 14 04:22:17 PDT 1997

On Sun, 13 Jul 1997 20:31:53 -0500 (CDT) L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt
<liontamr at ptd.net> writes:
>Howdy, folks!
>
>Aoife here, in a small quandry. Friends of mine are having a "period"
>wedding, during a public demo---they want it to be truly historical,
>and are
>researching all the necessary historical details--and have asked me to
>make
>the "cake". Problem 1: They're 5th century Christianized Celts (so
>that
>gives us bannocks, right?). Problem 2: Modern wedding cakes are not
>"period"
>by any concievable stretch of the imagination.

>Lady Aoife Finn

Gee, I can't remember if I kept the research I did before my SCA wedding
many years ago, but I'll look for it.

If I remember correctly, I read that guests brought some sort of cake as
a symbol of fertility and presented it to the couple. They were stacked
on a platter at the wedding feast. Can't remember the period, but it was
late. Later (out of period) someone got the idea to put icing on this
pile of cakes and the tiered wedding cake was created. That's one story.
Another was that cakes were brought as fertility gifts but thrown at the
bride. Any that landed on her were a sign of children to come. I think
that was earlier than the stacking the cakes, but again, I can't
remember. Later that custom became the rice that we throw at weddings
today.

That's all I remember. Hey, it was 18 years ago next week! I'll look
around and see if I can find any of the references that I used when I
planned the wedding.

Julleran
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.