SC - Responsibility for self (Long)

Sabia sabia at unm.edu
Tue Jul 15 10:20:11 PDT 1997

	Regardless of the nature of the allergy, there is a point at which
the person with the allergy (unless their a child) must become
responsible.  This does not mean that others should not assist in this,
but it does seem that an allergy as severe as the smell it and I die,
should have to pause at some point and realize that you can not use
draconian tactics.  I have several friends who are deathly allergic to
assorted items, they ask in advance if possible, and if that is not an
option then they check at the event.  If that (which is hardly ever the
case) is not an option then they abstain from the questionable item.  They
do not however resort to mafia tactics and accost any person who tries to
use an item they are intolerant to.  I can see a concern for health, but
to 'dump a grill in the lake', or to physically accost a cook, is going
way out of bounds.  If this person has become so out of controll, cannot
peers of an equal or greater rank, question her behavior?

	Food allergies are serious, and all who participate in the
preperation or serving of food must be aware of what is in the dish.  Yet,
the person who has allergies, or intolerances must participate also.  The
gentle who posted her recipes and was accosted about the attempt on this
'grand dames' life attempted to do her part, the 'grand dame' was in the
wrong, and not acting like any peer I would apply the words honor,
chivarly, or manners.

Sabia (sabia at unm.edu)

SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.