SC - Allergies - again..

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Wed Jul 16 08:44:39 PDT 1997

I usually make 3 or 4 extra dishes with about 10 servings each for the
vegetarians since we don't do as many vegetables dishes here in
Ansteorra. If I am cooking with alcohol, I also sometimes make some
alternate items, depending on how many dishes I have cooked.

As for allergies, I post a list of ingredients at the troll and at the
kitchen. Its the allergic persons responsibliity to check and know what
and what not to eat. I cannot police 200+ people. I do try to make sure
the dishes do not have the same ingredients in all of them.  I also am
careful not to use the same items for preparing the dishes when at all
possible. However, because of equipment restraints, often cutting boards,
knives and mixing bowls ARE reused (after a good washing) and serving
bowls are definitely reused. This I cannot help.

I can't tell you the number of times I have had someone come into the
kitchen as service began and demand to know what they could eat because
of their allergy to wheat, nuts, etc. It seems to me that if this were a
real problem for them they should have been concerned much early than at
one of the busiest times in the kitchen.

Once, I went out of my way to cook additional dishes for a person who was
allergic to all the standard period spices (cinnamon, cloves, ginger,
etc). I never got so much as a single thank you and will not EVER do this
again as it was much too much trouble.

Clarissa
SCA-Cooks-Request with the message body of unsubscribe.