Re(2): SC - art versus craft

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Wed Jul 23 09:17:07 PDT 1997

>Couldn't agree more. The sad thing about the difference between craft and art
>with regards to period cooking is that some of the best cooks in the SCA can
>go to the kitchen, roll up their sleeves and cook something period. Why is it
>sad you ask? Well, when someone asks for a recipe and it's yours and it is
>period, it looks kind of funny to write as the source > Me,  the reference
>as> my head, and the year as AS XXXV. :-) especially when you know the dish
>is 100% period.

I am afraid I don't quite agree with you here.  If you are talking about cooks
who have so much experience and know many recipes that they can walk into a
kitchen and prepare a redaction of a period recipe, but can't remember the
source information -- then yes, I feel they have created as close ato a 100%
period recipe as we can manage.

If you are talking about cooks who are equally knowledgeable and experienced,
but walk into a kitchen and prepare a recipe in period-style -- then no, I
don't feel the dish is necessarily period.  Period-style, yes.  But to label
this as a period dish when the source (the cook) is not period is misleading.

Now, before everyone jumps on a bandwagon, I will admit there are certain
dishes "so basic" that a cook could create them from their heads -- roasts,
soups, and the like.  However, I can point to several sources that do list
period recipes.

>Lord Ras

Derdriu
swensel at brandegee.lm.com