SC - Hand washing ritual at feasts

Janine De Villiers JDeVilliers at juta.co.za
Fri Jul 25 06:24:26 PDT 1997

Greetings, gentles!
I apologise for butting in on the highly entertaining discussions I've been
reading in the digest over the last couple of days and changing the
subject!
I am the very new (and distinctly nervous!) guildmistress of cooks for the
shire of Adamastor in Cape Town, SA. We are just one year old and our
registration with the kingdom of Drachenwald is almost complete, which
is all very exciting and we are planning some appropriate celebrations.
The rialto archives are great, but because I'm still finding my way around
and probably not looking in the right place, I haven't managed to find
anything on washing hands at feasts.
We would love to know just how this is done. Should the servers go
around to each seated person with pitchers of scented water and a
towel of sorts, with a helper to catch it in a suitable container; do just the
fingers get washed ritually or is it both hands properly; and when does
one time it for, so that the food doesn't cold in the process and there's an
awful hiatus?! Or what and how, please?
My thanks
Meriel of the Marsh