SC - The siege cook challenge.

Angie Capozello capozell at ben.dev.upenn.edu
Wed Jul 30 13:43:30 PDT 1997

- --snippy--

>My point is only that you have a pretty good idea of what the period
>ingredients are, for the time and place outlined in Tibor's scenario.
>His list was very carefully considered. Just about each of the
>ingredients listed was used in period for several different purposes or
>techniques, so, f'rinstance, the almonds could be a thickener for a
>sauce, or a marzipan-style paste, or shredded and fried as a garnish or
>a milk, or whatever. Most of the ingredients listed are similarly
>flexible.

>Adamantius

Well, yes, the stuff was outlined, but for those of us who have never
redacted, have only cooked one or two recipes and have no books, it was
more than a little overwhelming.  I wouldn't even have had a clue where to
start. What seems obvious to you is stuff that I'd never think of. Turning
the almonds into a thickener may seem to be a perfectly natural conclusion
for you, but having cooked only a few, simple modern recipes the only thing
I'd do is set out a bowl and hand out the nutcrackers!

If you'll excuse the pun, to put this in a nutshell, this is just too big a
challenge for a beginner with few resources and little experience to
attempt.  I'm always willing to learn, but I refuse to go into a battle of
wits (and cooks! *g*) unarmed.

Raffaella di Napoli