SC - spices to cover spoilage

Tim Allison tallison at mcs.com
Tue Jul 1 23:36:54 PDT 1997

While doing research on this subject, I found information that convinced me
that while this might have been done at times, there was a major lapse in
logic about it being the most important reason. Who were the people who
used the most spices and herbs?   Qho had most access to fresh meat and
could afford to discard it if it spoiled? In both cases, the wealthiest
people. So the people most likely to eat spoiled meat were the ones who
could least afford to cover the taste. BTW, when I did a food demo for the
Richard III Society, I bought most of my unusual ingredients in the Indian
section of town. It's no wonder Indian food became popular in Britain in
this century-they were returning to their roots.
Caroline Richenda