SC - Celtic Feast

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Wed Jul 2 09:46:20 PDT 1997

                      RE>>SC - Celtic Feast                        7/2/97

> Hare/rabbit was not eaten, don't know why (social/moral taboo >against
eating something perceived as cowardly and dumb?).

]Well, if you're talking about the early Celtic peoples of ]Britian, they
didn't eat rabbit because rabbits didn't exist in ]England much before the
Normans.  I believe they were a Norman ]import  (again, working from memory, I
believe the source is Ann ]Wilson's Food and Drink in Britian)

no- this was a reference (Ceasar again I think) to the continental Celts, in
the same breath/sentence with "they don't eat fowl"

"Hares, fowl and geese they do not think it lawful to eat... do not grow corn
[generic term for grain] but live on milk and meat..."

I can't find the shellfish reference right off the bat, but this is from "The
Celts" by Frank Delaney