Cast iron cookpots (was: SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #183)

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at ki.se
Thu Jul 3 02:25:06 PDT 1997

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, david friedman wrote:

> interested. We use it because it is the most period seeming thing we can
> readily get, but would be happy to shift to something better.

I'm in (approximately) the same position; while the "100% certified
period" cookware for my persona (10th c scandinavian) would be iron and
soapstone pots, perhaps with some clay, I have to settle for less. More or
less readily available are iron plate pots (any competent SCA armourer
should be able to manufacture these [1]), but the cost is beyond my
present budget (IIRC $75-100/ea).

Soapstone would have to be purchased and worked, and are fragile as well.
Clay is another option, but they share the fragility with the soapstone,
and I do not currently have the skill to manufacture them. I am also
uncertain as to what extent they are period.

My solution so far has been to use aluminium billy can type pots. These
have the advantage that they look fairly much like the original when
viewed from the outside (when suitably blackened), and are durable and low
cost. But they are a compromise.

/UlfR

[1] Most examples I have seen have the welds on the inside, thereby making
them waterproof. I do not know how the originals were waterproofed, but
several methods could have been used[2]. I would very much welcome
information on what methods _were_ used in period.

[2] Solder, pitch, etc. I do not now if (forge-)welding would have been
possible.

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
                   Ne Horreas