SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #218

Donna Kenton donna at dabbler.com
Thu Jul 31 05:24:13 PDT 1997

At 9:46 AM -0400 7/3/97, Cindy Renfrow wrote:

>I agree with an earlier poster that you should include the transcribed
>original, as well as your translation - this makes your work verifiable and
>far more valuable.

To expand on this a little ... .

If you publish only your "modernization," the reader may be stuck with your
mistakes and no way to correct them. For example, _Stir it Wele_ (the Pepys
manuscript) has a bunch of 15th c. recipes in both modernized and
facsimile. One of the modernized versions tells you to seal a pot tightly
so that no egg can escape. The only problem is that there is no egg in the
recipe. The original word was "eir," which the modernizer took to be a 15th
c. spelling of egg ("eyren" is fairly common for "eggs") but actually meant
"air."

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/