SC - Re: Butchery

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Fri Jul 4 15:15:05 PDT 1997

<< It might be well to assume that the butchering of animals was for them,
 normal and commonplace, regular  knowledge in the Middle Ages. Most of
 them were not urban technophiles, such as we. >>

Here I agree, m'lord, wholeheartedly for anyone to assume a lack of knowledge
by medieval folk in these areas is lidicrous and ridiculous to the extreme.
Why even a child in period could tell the time of day by the position of the
sun and stars, practical knowledge which is sadly lacking in todays world. Me
thinks that sometimes we look down from our in\vorytowers and determine those
that have gone before possesed less than adequate learning in many fields.
Perhaps this is true but in the areas of survivl knowledge it is we who are
lacking the knowledge that our forefathers took for granted.

Also, my family hunted, butchrered and prepared our own meat for years and
never felt a need to be familiar with anatomy to eat. We knew what was edible
and ate it. This insisting anatomical knowledge is a prerequesite to
butchering is also, IMHO, absurd. Basically, you kill it, skin it and eat the
parts that are edible whatevcer they are.

Lord Ras