Re(2): SC - Intro-Unsub-Cooking?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 8 09:16:28 PDT 1997

Sue Wensel wrote:

> Now, to create another topic -- Has anyone tried using gold (or silver) leaf
> to decorate foods?  Beyond potential toxicity and cost, what other factors
> have lead to the lack of experimentation?  I want to try this, but first
> decided to see if anyone else has tested the waters.
>
> Derdriu

I've done it a few times, and it generates oohs and ahhs. If you're not
extremely careful, silver leaf, when applied sloppily, tends to resemble
the shiny side of aluminum foil, so the effect may be anticlamactic.

I consider myself more of a utility cook, generally more concerned with
the flavor, texture, and temperature of the food than with the
garnishes, which I generally delegate to those who find it really
interesting. So, I may not have the steadiest hands for this kind of
work.

I think the reasons for the relative dearth of experimentation with this
type of garnish are as you describe: toxicity and cost, or rather,
PERCEIVED toxicity and cost. In actual fact silver vark, obtainable at
good Indian groceries, is kept carefully wrapped to prevent tarnishing
(which is more likely to be toxic than the silver itself). Gold vark is,
like all pure gold, more or less chemically inert and therefore
non-toxic. In either case, if I may be forgiven the crudeness, you just
end up flushing the stuff.

As for the cost, I should point out that a little goes a LONG way. The
sheets generally come about 4" by 6", and there are quite a few
extremely thin sheets to an ounce, which, in the case of silver vark,
costs, I believe, about $20-$30 per ounce. This may be inaccurate at the
moment, since the prices of silver and gold fluctuate from year to year.
Anyway, an ounce of silver vark isn't hugely expensive as long as your
waste due to tears and wrinkling aren't that much. You need to be
extremely careful when applying the stuff to avoid this: remove only one
of the sheets of tissue paper covering each sheet of vark and apply to
the food, vark-side down. After you have it ostly in position, then
remove the second sheet of tissue with extreme care.

You could easily put a couple of sheets on top of each pie for an event
without seriously busting your budget.

Hoping this helps,

Adamantius