Re(2): SC - Intro-Unsub-Cooking?

Tue Jul 8 09:31:03 PDT 1997

  Now, to create another topic -- Has anyone tried using gold (or silver) leaf
  to decorate foods?  Beyond potential toxicity and cost, what other factors
  have lead to the lack of experimentation?  I want to try this, but first
  decided to see if anyone else has tested the waters.

My wife has taken a lesson from a friend who calligraphs, on how to apply
gold leaf, and she applied it to cookies as part of the practice.  They were
happily consumed.

Straight and pure gold leaf, while expensive, is inert in the human
digestive tract. (And too thin to do mechanical damage.  My goodness, we had
to ban the four year old from the work area, because the air from his motion
was blowing the gold around!)

Cost is the BIG issue.  And the difficulty of getting certifiably and
reliably pure materials.

	Tibor